“Spice Up Your Life”
In the summer, it’s easy to plant a few fresh herbs (basil, parsley, thyme, sage) in a pot or anywhere in the ground. I ask my daughter to go out and pick me whatever I need – she loves it! My Uncle Dennis recently taught me a great trick for keeping parsley fresh for over 2 months!
* Cut stems a bit and place fresh parsley in a plastic cup of water (a few inches filled) and cover the top with a small grocery bag. Keep in the fridge and use as needed.
Let’s face it…we all can’t plan our meals all the time. My goal is to have enough in my pantry and fridge at all times so I can whip up something for dinner in a pinch (or in a snowstorm!). You would be surprised how little you need to make most of your recipes.
- Box of organic chicken and vegetable broth
- White beans and lentils
- Almond Butter (try Barney butter for a smooth consistency similar to peanut butter)
- Sweets: Maple syrup, honey, date or coconut sugar for baking
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Dried Spices: Salt, Pepper, Rosemary, Thyme, Herbs de Provence, Onion/Shallot powder, Cumin, Cinnamon and (try Taco Seasoning from Penzy’s Spices – http://www.penzeys.com)
- Box of Gluten-free Pasta (try Jovial)
- Variety of Grainse (short and long grain brown rice, Arborio and Wild rice, quinoa)
- Organic Taco shells
- Alias Gluten-free Italian Bread Crumbs
- Lemons (have a back-up jar of fresh lemon juice)
- Non-dairy cheese (try Almond Mozzarella style)
- Non-dairy milk (Almond, Flax, Hemp, Pea Protein, whatever you prefer)
- Constant supply of a few of your favorite veggies (frozen and fresh)
- Frozen Organic Meat: Bag of frozen shrimp, individual chicken breasts, ground turkey, organic chicken/turkey sausage