For years my mom made zucchini w/fresh tomatoes (we called it “gagoots”) and I never liked it. Tony Soprano used to call his stupid-head son “you big gagoots”. Hard to believe after 40 years that I am now making the exact same thing. Not only do I finally LOVE it, but my kids quickly started liking it too! I guess it’s true, we really do become our parents when we get old. I can only hope that my kids learn their life lessons as quickly as they learned to like gagootz.
- Salt and cut fish into several pieces (as desired). Dip into flour, then egg, then GF breadcrumbs. Use flounder or cod, whatever looks freshest.
- Fry in grapeseed or canola oil (enough to coat the pan well but not submerge fish).
- Flip it as soon as it’s brown. When the other side browns, immediately put on a baking rack to cool.
- Serve plain or with ketchup or tartar sauce.
- Heat a little garlic in about 2 TBS of EVOO in a pot. Add some sliced onion and cook until soft.
- Peel and slice 3-4 zucchini (about 1/2 inch thick circles).
- Cut 3-4 tomatoes and add with zucchini into the pot.
- Heat on Medium for about 15 minutes or until cooked.
Quick Brown Rice
- I am hooked on this Brown Rice cooked and frozen in a bag from Whole Foods.
- Just heat it up in the Microwave and add a little EVOO or soy sauce for flavor/texture. Great for a quick starch!
For the Kids:
- Let the kids help crack the eggs and pour the breadcrumbs.
- Let them help with the dipping into the flour, etc.
- FYI: The dish “Gagoots” is a true italian term for a traditional dish that typically includes zucchini, onions and peppers.
Extraordinarily well executed writing…
=great choices of foods.. thanks a lot..