Is this a cruel joke? Why is it women over 35 (hypothetically speaking of course) who eat healthy, minimize processed foods, and exercise regularly are left with a skinny….. face? It’s not exactly our goal when running on the treadmill at 7 mph, uphill. A skinny face is not what we had in mind when we envisioned a great compliment, “boy, she looks terrific, and how about that skinny face?! But sadly, it is true that after 35 we automatically lose the fat in our faces of all places and gravity takes hold. It’s the one good reason to keep some weight on. Do you ever notice that skinny women who get old are scary (they play the scary witch in the movies), and the rounder women are always associated as the sweet grandmother-type. So if you were thinking about losing that last 5-10 lbs. after your last baby – don’t bother, you know just where you’ll lose it. So go for that extra scoop of ice-cream (it doesn’t take much of an excuse anymore)!
NY Strip: Par-defrost your steaks in the microwave if you are in a rush and then leave it on the granite counter to defrost the rest of the way.
- Drizzle a little EV olive oil, salt/pepper (and dash of Herbs de Provence if desired) on both sides.
- Grill on High for 5 minutes – turn once, reduce heat to medium and grill another 5 minutes (or to desired temp.)
- I defrost a bag of frozen (cooked) brown rice at Trader Joe’s – OR – Boil some white or brown rice yourself and set aside.
- Cut up and cook small broccoli pieces (about 2 bunches) in a 1/2 cup of chicken broth in a pot. I added a TBS of butter too.
- Stir in a cup of shredded cheese (I mixed some mild cheddar and mozzarella) and the cooked rice.
- Let sit covered on LOW for 5 minutes or so. Stir again and serve.
How Can the Kids Help:
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on steaks.
- Help point out which broccoli should be cut (too big!) – “cut that one!”
- Measure 1/2 cup of chicken broth (or water) and 1 cup of cheese and pour into broccoli
- Set the table
- Coloring Sheet: http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/broccoli_coloring_page.pdf
- Broccoli growing out of ground: http://www.garden-helper.com/Images/broccoli2.gif
Did You Know?
- Meat production accounts for nearly a fifth of global greenhouse gas emissions – cows emit methane, which is 23 times more effective as a global warming agent than carbon dioxide.
- Broccoli is recognized for its anti-cancer nutrients.
- Broccoli consumption has increased over 940 percent over the last 25 years! It has as much calcium as a glass of milk!
- Converting brown rice into white rice destroys 67% of the vitamin B3, 80% of the vitamin B1, 90% of the vitamin B6, half of the manganese, half of the phosphorus, 60% of the iron, and all of the dietary fiber and essential fatty acids. See article: http://www.peertrainer.com/DFcaloriecounterB.aspx?id=5914