How many dinners could you make if, God forbid, you couldn’t make it to the store for days? What’s in your pantry now? Go look, really. Is a jar of pickles really going to help you at 6PM when even the thought of dinner hasn’t entered your mind yet? There are weeks I am at the food store 3 times and others where I am lucky if I go once. Of course I only go 3 times because I forget what I went to the store to buy the first 2 times. However, at any given time, I am prepared to cook for the troops in an emergency should my country call upon me. I try to keep the following meats on hand at all times:
- Bag of frozen cooked shrimp
- Thin Pork Chops and Chicken Cutlets (lay them flat in Ziplock freezer bags to defrost only what you need)
- 1 1/3 of ground turkey or beef
- Ham Steak
- Pork Tenderloin (usually comes in pack of 2 – separate before freezing in case you only need one)
Pasta with Shrimp and Broccoli: You can use any pasta but I happened to have orecchiette. This pasta looks like little hats made for your fingers. This is ironic because that’s exactly how they are made. A little pasta dough is wrapped around the tip of a finger to make the shape just right.
- Cook broccoli florets in a pot of salted water. Remove broccoli with strainer and set aside in your serving bowl.
- Cook the pasta in the same boiling water. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Heat EV olive oil in the pot with a little garlic (if you like) and cook the shrimp.
- Add some parmesan cheese, drop of lemon juice (fresh, bottled or zest) and stir. Add a drop of water or chicken broth if too thick.
- Pour broccoli and pasta back into the pot and stir everything together. Add salt/pepper and cheese to taste.
Salad: Sometimes you just don’t have fresh lettuce so toss some raw baby carrots in a bowl and let the kids dip them in some dressing.
How Can the Kids Help?
- Fill the pasta pot with water (teach how much) and add salt
- Pour pasta in pot and set timer (they can tell you when the timer goes off – they think you don’t hear the beeping)
- Sprinkle dinner with parmesan cheese
- Put carrots in little bowl and pick dipping sauce
- Count by 1’s to get the fish to his bowl: http://www.printactivities.com/Mazes/Math-Mazes/Fish-CountingBy1s.shtml
Did You Know?
- McDonalds distributes more toys each year than Toys R Us
- 40% of American meals are eaten outside the home
- Each day 1 in 4 Americans visits a fast food restaurant
- French fries are the most eaten vegetable in America
- Watch “How to make orechiette” on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk34jkzVZYs